Thursday, September 16, 2010

Secret Garden

When my brain becomes overloaded with numbers, I turn to art as a reprieve. One of my favorite books for offsetting "Excel eyes" is The Garden Book by Phaidon Press (who incidentally ranks among my top publishers). I have the mini version of the book. (Size not to be explored in depth as I am taking a break from numbers.) The book surveys 500 (clearly stated in intro; I did no calculations) influential gardens, designers or architects from around the world. At the risk of eating my words, one of my favorites from the book is the "Garden of Cosmic Speculation" by Charles Jencks. Although not relevant to me until today, last night I noticed his garden includes metal sculptures of DNA.

I have been fortunate to visit several of the gardens included and a few of my favorites are the J. Paul Getty Museum Garden, Park Güell, and the Singapore Botanical Garden (aka Orchid Heaven). Japan, China, France, UK, and Finland (Alvar Aalto - need I say more?) are nicely represented as well. I can hardly think of a better way to pass a sunny afternoon than an aimless walk in a pretty place.


No comments:

Post a Comment