Sunday, September 12, 2010

Don't Worry

It took me a little more than three hours to move through Delivering Happiness this weekend. Of course, I know this because 1) I like metrics and 2) I had two blocks of uninterrupted time which had constraints (built in timer). It has been some while since I have been excited about a business book, though I would hesitate to classify this title entirely in this genre. [The book includes a reference to fractals; my inner geek was thrilled.] By the time I had moved into the Appendix, I had created a list of questions to be answered in the near future, both in the workplace and personally. The book left me excited about possibilities and served as a reminder as to why I selected my current career path.

By the time I had finished, I could recall eight of the ten core values for Zappos. Do we each know our own? It is a good question. The reader will follow the story of individuals who found and created teams ("tribes" is Mr. Hsieh's word) and of a company which found its place after many trials. Working with believers is how I would describe the venture. I had a similar experience of trying to push the stone (a company) up a hill. The glue that held us together (other than the fact that we were all a little wacky) was our belief that it could happen and our will to do everything we could to crest the top.

So this week, think about what you can do to make another person happy, and check yourself that you are on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment