Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hold Your a Pause Until the End

The phrase "closed the chapter" popped into my head Sunday evening. I am not certain how the phrase came to mean the end of something. If a book is complex or if I am enjoying a glass (or two) of reading water, I am constantly revisiting former chapters to remind myself of a character, an event, a phrasing, a date or a place. Unless the book is a collection of short stories or a very macabre tale, I cannot imagine at least one thread continuing to subsequent chapters.

So is closing a chapter merely a pause? I find difficulty relating to this idea as well, as I do not adhere to rules such as "stop a book at the end of a chapter." I also am not known for my ability to pause before rushing headlong into the next bit. Some call this trait "impatient" - I say "enthusiastic."

No comments:

Post a Comment