Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Need for Read

So like other members of the Book Club, I tend to read multiple books and lately have been reading books by or about women. This has happened by chance as my most recent selections have been random picks from the Edmondson Pike library. The last few months have included Gertrude Stein’s Three Lives, a literary classic which happened to be located next to Wallace Stegner’s The Spectator Bird, which I read since Angle of Repose was checked out. I rationalized that this might help me in the book club discussion if I knew the author’s style; I was wrong. The works of my “S” authors were completely contrasting but I did draw a parallel between completing Stein’s work and last year’s half-marathon: memorable beginning, a painful period midway with doubts I could finish, and rejoicing at the end.

I picked up my last two books like I occasionally select my wine…by the covers. I would classify both reads as "summer" genre with preference given to Belle Weather by Celia Rivenbark over Frog Prince by Jane Porter. Belle Weather made me laugh aloud which I particularly appreciated during this last month. Rivenbark has also authored We’re Just Like You, Only Prettier, which reminded me of something that Bill might say.

1 comment:

  1. That's my favorite way to select wine, too: by how great the label is! Heads up to wine and book marketers alike: if you're spine (or label) is boring, dull, or just unattractive, you'll almost never make it into my house.

    ReplyDelete