Friday, May 29, 2009

Escape

As I have mentioned before, and as we all do, I enjoy wading through books. I will admit that I am also one of those people who are easily swayed to purchase a book when the author is present and is willing to sign a dedication. I was surprised that I would have this opportunity when visiting Alcatraz yesterday.

A former inmate Darwin E. Coon, #1422, was present to discuss his 2002 publication, Alcatraz The True End of Life. When I inquired as to his most poignant memory of his stay on the island, he immediately replied, "29 days in D block". After having toured the facility, I think I had a glimpse of appreciating this sentiment although I’m quite sure I cannot put this statement into perspective. There were a number of people speaking to Mr. Coon at the time though none of them had asked him to sign the book. I decided to take a chance and he was quite amiable to do so.

I’m not yet sure when I will begin this book, but I suspect it may win out on the flight home. I think it would be appropriate to start reading this new acquisition as I am leaving San Francisco (and I'm relatively certain that Thomas Wolfe won't mind).

No comments:

Post a Comment