Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

I’m nearly one-third through Flights of Angels by Ellen Gilchrist. While I have been enjoying the series of short stories, the book seems to have had mixed reviews. I have admired the range of subjects for the narratives, most recently about the actors who work in a clinic as “doctors” to diagnose whether people are really ill or merely in need of a good massage.

I mistakenly misread the cover and thought this series won the National Book Award. As it turns out, the 1984 prize was awarded for Fiction for Victory over Japan: A Book of Stories. (I give a nod to the publisher for a clever marketing strategy.)

In the near future, I need to start thinking about our May book. And of course, I’m curious about the cover.

1 comment:

  1. I find the cover of our May book a little bit haunting...not sure why. Just got the book in the mail from Amazon and am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete