Saturday, May 9, 2009

Germantown Book Club (GBC)

So before I read the May book, I’m trying to squeeze in one other light read: A Year in High Heels by Camilla Morton. A mix of history, advice, humor, and style, the book has me hooked. One of the more amusing bits was the recommendation to start a book club with a couple requirements: regular meetings (check) and that all attendees must read the book. I disagreed with the author’s sentiment on this point, and truthfully, I’m glad we don’t have this mandate for our conversations. (I think it much more essential that we have our reading water.)

I think our GBC is not a typical book club arrangement and that’s why I find it so endearing. With such an eclectic group of people, our conversations are always varied, stimulating and funny. We have fantastic meals; we agree to disagree; we celebrate personal, political and social victories; and we share our sadness in a supportive environment. Somehow we manage this in a way that doesn’t come off like an Oprah episode. Could it be the reading water?

There are a number of options for Book Clubs in Nashville if anyone is interested in branching out beyond our neighborhood group. A quick Google search revealed nine other options including “I Read Dead People”. As one would guess, none of them mentioned reading water.

No comments:

Post a Comment