Thursday, May 21, 2009

May A-pear-ant

Yesterday I found myself craving a pear and purchased a bag from the local grocery chain. I was a bit too eager and they are still yet firm. Imagine biting into a carrot that looks like a pear and tastes well, closer to a carrot. Anyway, this and the news of the first deliveries of coop vegetables to some of our book club members have my mind on summer cooking. I do love the traditional cookbook and two my favourites are the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook (published around 1991) and the Joy of Cooking (1975-ish edition). I also have tendencies to pick up any cookbook older than 1960.

The proliferation of online websites devoted to cooking makes it very easy to concoct a meal with on hand food items. My choice thus far is AllRecipes although there is a plethora of sites from which to select a recipe: Epicurious, Deliaonline, FoodNetwork, for just a sampling. A word of advice when using recipes from the web, keep the computer away from the mixer and the sink and disable the screen saver. For those of you with laptops, it’s a challenge to get batter off a touch pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment