Thursday, October 29, 2009

Writer's Only...

In August, I suggested that you might be interested in Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss if you wanted a grammar review. In truth, I have had this book for a couple of years, but had never actually read it. This week was my turning point for the book. I could write that I finally selected this work because I have been proofreading a bit more than I normally do (which is true), however I think logistics played a more important role. I have not visited our local library in a few weeks so was perusing my bookcase for something not yet finished. (It is like using those random items in your pantry for a meal when you do not want to go shopping. I am guilty of this as well.)

The first fifty pages dedicated to "The Tractable Apostrophe" have been entertaining and include those dry English examples of subtle wit that I have come to adore. Her illustration of "Cyclist's Only (his only what?!)" reminded me of several GBC discussions regarding observed signage in the local area.

Check your apostrophes and don't end up in a comma.

No comments:

Post a Comment