Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Reader II

I thought I was an avid reader until last night.

The background: Local softball fall co-ed league which plays each Monday night.

The weather: Overcast gray skies with a sunset behind a storm cloud that looked like a Thomas Kinkade painting. (Please note I am not a fan of Thomas Kinkade paintings, but the light was rather dramatic and this is my best description after only one cup of coffee.)

The players: Mish-mash of persons from Nashville and surrounding areas with a joy of playing a sport that surpasses a desire to win.

The main character, a.k.a the "reader": Our pitcher. (Just makes for the right story, don't you think?)

Timing: Mid-way through the game with our pitcher next up to bat.

The statement which made me re-think reading: "Guess I'd better put my book down and get on deck."

While I had assumed he was keeping track of Monday Night Football, he was actually reading via his iPhone. Incidentally, he had a great night at bat.

No comments:

Post a Comment