Thursday, July 30, 2009

July's Calling Card

I did finish The Northern Clemency Tuesday evening. In the event that you are planning to read this novel, I will simply note that all families have dysfunction and this might make you feel better (or worse) than your own. Incidentally, the women (mostly) seemed to fare better than the men.

My trip to the library this week left me thinking that I'm reading the same titles as fifteen others in the metro area, or at least this seems to be the magic number of holds on each book I attempted. I had also left my main reading list at home so I was selecting books from the small notebook I keep stashed in my purse. The good news is that I had a completely new experience at the library; I pulled titles using their call numbers rather than the author's surname. To be quite honest, I felt a bit more scholarly, or at least less mainstream, as I walked around the third floor searching for books using the posted numeric signs as my guide.

My current selections both have multi-page indices which, I think means I won't be skimming through these in a few days. My new reads are Bury Me Standing: The Gypsies and Their Journey by Isabel Fonseca and The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas L. Friedman. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

1 comment:

  1. This reminded me of an article I saw recently about things a certain generation will never know about...#86 on the list was finding a book using a card catalog. I do love the library and the good old days.

    ReplyDelete