Thursday, July 16, 2009

Elementary

I did complete Arthur & George earlier this week and while I enjoyed the book, I was left with several questions regarding parts of the novel which seemed to be left unaddressed at the book's final pages. My book lender is out of town so I must patiently (?!) await her return in order to talk through those points. I do think it would make a very animated discussion book for a book club. A comment by The Seattle Times calls the work "an accomplished duet," however I rather feel that much of the book would be classified as two solos before culminating in the foreshadowed duet for conclusion. Julian Barnes writes about each of the characters independently in headings which rotate chiefly between "Arthur" and "George" with the occasional "Campbell." A small intro to the book can be read here.

Another option if you'd prefer the non-fiction variety of the tale would be Conan Doyle and the Parson's Son: The George Edalji by Gordon Weaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment