Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July on the Fly

This morning I’ve done something that I have not done in a long, long time; I read the liner notes in a CD. "Leonard Cohen Live in London" is a double-disc album in a tri-folded cardboard case with CDs at each end and that wonderful pocket in the middle for the small twelve page music booklet containing photos and text about the show. I moved through the book slowly and read about the performance; the text was beautiful and I imagined an incredible show.

By my best recollection, I have not purchased a physical CD in about three years (other than the occasional gift) as I have picked up most of my music online. I suppose this is one of the tragedies of technology and a desire for instant gratification. So this morning, I’m thinking a bit about how I used to pour through liner notes: CDs, tapes, albums, and yes, even a few eight-tracks. I would read as the first track played and keep the liner handy for reference during that first play through. I think my judgement on an album was heavily influenced by the effort that was placed in the liner notes. Was it a booklet of lyrics and photos or just a two page list of songs? Based on the liner notes, I think I will enjoy the Cohen album, and I am in gratitude both for the music and this reminder of albums past.

No comments:

Post a Comment