Monday, July 6, 2009

Ode to Kansas

I am still thinking about reading maps. This morning I am sitting directly opposite a map of the United States and as I glance up periodically and read the state names, I am wondering if each of us could place the states in their appropriate location on a map as we all had to do at some point during our elementary/grammar school careers. This map is particularly nifty in that it also has a picture to note an item for which the state is widely known, excluding a few of the Northeastern states which have a tiny footprint on the map. (Likely a challenge to the artist to design miniature crabs, boats, maple trees, etc).

Going one step further, do we still know the capitals or would we instinctively say Seattle rather than Olympia influenced by a caffeine haze? I was curious to know whether I still had this ability of recall and sought an interactive map to use as a test. (Enter “Ben’s Guide to U.S. Government for Kids.”) Rhode Island was my last state to place on the non-outlined map of the U.S. My progress was respectable though I did not keep my time. No pressure to get them all correct, but I will tell you in advance that this map is geared toward young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment