Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July Down Under

Have you ever finished reading a book and then re-read the beginning? I have just completed True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey and done just that. While I initially was not sure that I would enjoy this book set in Australia describing the exploits of Ned Kelly, by the end I was absorbed. The fondness began subtly, making time to read an entire “parcel” and then carefully, timing my reading so that I could have ample moments to read through several key selections without interruption. I was intrigued by his “adjectival” language which took me nearly thirty pages to comprehend and then to appreciate. The story involves tragedy mixed with bravery and attempts at heroism using the voice of Ned Kelly to describe his life and actions to a daughter unseen. Also, in case you have an interest in this type of thing, the font was set in Minion.

No comments:

Post a Comment