Friday, July 24, 2009

Catching Up as a Reader

I was unable to attend our June meeting and had not yet been able to secure a copy of The Reader from our library to stay current with our reading list. Luckily, a fellow GBC member was able to spare her book Tuesday so that I could spend Wednesday glued to the pages. Once I began the story, I did not want to relinquish the book. I used each spare minute to read and found myself preparing dinner with one-hand so that I could use the other hand to hold the book. (Luckily, rice is low maintenance). The evening was spent with an appropriate amount of light and the stillness of my home for company as I desired no musical or technological interruption. As I neared the last few chapters of the novel and the end of Hanna’s story, I released an audible sigh both for the story and its ability to have captured my attention in such a focused way. Getting lost in a book can be such a wonderful thing sometimes.

I don’t expect to read North and South in such a similar manner, but it would be nice to be wrong about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment