Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Prized Possessions

The Pulitzer Prizes were announced this week and my former home city celebrated as a finalist in the local reporting of breaking news category. The Tennessean was indeed a lifeline for news as I sat in a (very small) Parisian hotel preparing for a meeting nearly one year ago.

Other award-winning works may also make your short-list for summer reading:
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. The book has its own MySpace page which incidentally does not roar with music upon opening (much to the pleasure of one writer at 6:00 am)
  • The Emperor of Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee. This work is a biography of cancer and makes the list for me this morning both due to content and the fact that I had to really search it out as the NYT article had a bad link. (And yes, I emailed the author to let him know.)
In non-Pulitzer news, Master Georgie received the Man Booker Best of Beryl Award last night. In this "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" honoring, Beryl was described as a "gracious non-winner." [Note: if any of you write of me in this way, I will haunt you like ghosts from an old French home site of a murder/suicide.]

No comments:

Post a Comment