Saturday, April 30, 2011

For Dola

I always try to read the last third or quarter of a book in solitude and uninterrupted. In addition to the closing words, I want to get a feeling from the work. As I moved through the final chapters of The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin, I had moments of sadness and one tear managed to find its way down my cheek. The book was not a sad novel but there were distinct moments of remembrance/occurrences which will evoke emotion. (I do not want to be too specific lest I spoil your read.)

The characters in the novel are strong and while my focus was initially on the women, I was reminded by Ms. Shoneyin that our male lead's "real strength of character" should not be forgotten. Each individual (wife, husband, mother, child) had their own tragedies to work through and burdens to carry. The way that each person handled their journey illustrated their individuality and courage.

Before beginning the narrative, reviews noted the book was about polygamy. As I read, I felt that the book was really just about life. Our cultures influence our behavior, our desires, and our manner of working and living. The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Lives gives us insight into a culture perhaps different from our own, but filled with respect, resourcefulness, and joy.

I read through several chapters multiple times, and it is a book that you will want to discuss with your friends. The read will also make you think twice about eating food you did not prepare in a competitive household.

The GBC wishes to extend its appreciation to Ms. Shoneyin for answering our varied questions about her novel. We learned so much from both the read and the interaction. We wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment