Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The World is Flat

I had hoped to make a Skype cameo at our GBC meet, but alas I was caught at work and missed what I am certain was a wonderful affair. I kept abreast of several of the food items via Twitter: chocolate pie with meringue and fig chutney with goat cheese. With a bottle (generally per person) of reading water, these items alone are sufficient for a meal. I am looking forward to the updates from the group on the book discussion.

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I downloaded a sample of My Horizontal Life in yet one more effort to prolong the summer reading schedule. The sample itself resembles the author's description of a one-night stand: one concentrated effort to see if you want to read more, but the reader can absolutely walk away with no commitment leaving perhaps only a brief memory of a semi-pleasant exchange. (In some cases, semi-pleasant is replaced with the memory of an answering machine message which might sound hypothetically like: "Hey hey it's me; it's Ernest P; leave a message for me" which is all kinds of wrong, but these, readers, are strictly isolated incidents.) Ahem.

The few intro pages were enough to both traumatize me and make me laugh aloud so in Monday's continued sleep-deprived haze, I used my handy one-click button to pick up the rest of the read. One positive of insomnia is that more time is available to read. The negative of course is a higher use of concealer, but there is no hiding that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment