Monday, February 1, 2010

A Crime of Fashion

I made the trek yesterday to the library in the snow uphill one way. (Google pegs this trip to be 1.5 miles each direction, but this story might grow to five miles in the presence of children ten years from now.) It was a bit slower going than I anticipated, and I feel I must acknowledge the driver of the pickup truck for the mini shower that you unexpectedly provided. (My dry cleaner thanks you.)

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I did not have to pay a fine for my day of delinquency thanks to the weather and the kindness of NPL to offer an additional grace period. So as I said goodbye to an unfinished Agee, I also said hello to Gregory David Roberts. One of my yogi friends had recently read Shantaram and suggested I also add the title to my reading list. The author is robber turned fugitive turned free clinic opener in the Bombay slums turned mafioso turned media man. (The only words I have from a five minute peruse of his website are "far out".)

Having temporarily forgotten that I was walking, I decided I should also pick up another title from my book list and found Love, Loss, and What I Wore by Ilene Beckerman on the third floor. This book is quite possibly the antithesis of the aforementioned novel as the author has sketched pieces of her favorite items of clothing and provided a brief description of the memory associated with the item. Incidentally, this book is the inspiration for an off-Broadway show which is running through the end of March if you happen to be in the area of the Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment