Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bend It Like Beckerman

Love, Loss, and What I Wore is not a long read. The anecdotes with each item are short, sweet and sometimes sad with Ilene Beckerman saying just enough to generate a feeling or the spirit of the ensemble, but leaves quite a bit to the imagination of the reader. As I read through her clothing descriptions, I realized I also had shared several similar items, though perhaps many years later than she did (and I am not quite certain they were in style when I wore them).

As I flipped through the pages, I recalled several of my favorite items and exactly where I was or why I wore them. My mom, like Ms. Beckerman's mother, frequently made a lot of clothes for my sister and me, including some of the those special occasion outfits. A few of my standouts: the matching Easter dresses (mine in green and my sister's in pink), the yellow jersey pants with matching shirt, belt, earrings and shoes (yep, a bit too much yellow and why I thought appropriate for Field Day I will never know - actually, yes I do), the A-line skirts Mom made, the white shirt with blue polka dots which really was not pretty but I wore it anyway because my best friend gave it to me, the shirt I wore backwards due to the neckline (like the author), the blue sequined prom gown my senior year of high school, the little black number that was a bit too tight and perhaps too short...and on the list goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment