Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Trilogy

Book two of the Millennium series, The Girl Who Played with Fire, was perhaps more intriguing than book one. Rather than a primary focus on the journalist Blomkvist, Stieg Larsson pulls the reader into Salander's character, and we learn a great deal more about this young woman and her wasp tattoo. The ending of the book was better constructed than book one leaving the reader with the right combination of "story complete" and "eagerness for the final book in the series." (I read for two solid hours to finish the book.)

Regarding dedicating a few hours to a task, one of the benefits of volunteering (other than the primary goal of giving back to your community) is meeting other people. I have been very fortunate to meet some extremely cool individuals and to have great conversations about life, travel, and of course, books. Enter The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know by Bob Beaudine. Of my co-volunteers mentioned this book last month in discussing networking and brought it to me Friday so that I could read it. (Luckily I met him before reading the book.) It appears to be a relatively short read and likely my next target.

In the queue to follow the above title is our February bookclub read, Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee and Walker Evans. [In the copy I have, this title is published with A Death in the Family which I have read some years ago and may also be revisited.] The story follows three tenant families and has several notable quotes. The structure of the book is very interesting, almost akin to a play. I had the thought that this would be a good text to read aloud (thinking of GBC Carole not the singer) and smiled as I read in the preface that this was indeed true. The story includes a preamble, verses, photography, and a character listing in addition to the actual text. The dedication (p.2) states simply:
To those of whom the record is made.
In gratefulness and in love.
J.A. W.E.
Agee was born in Knoxville (not far from campus for those of you who are alum) and was a screenplay writer for "The African Queen" starring Ms. Hepburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment