Monday, January 25, 2010

I Got the Power

I have already mentioned that I was reading The Power of Who at likely the right time in my life, but I do not think I knew how true this was until I polished off the rest of the book in one sitting. The author mentioned several techniques that I already employ such as making a list of exactly what the "what" is (although mine was on the back of an envelope rather than neatly typed pages) and working on my "who" relationships. In addition to reinforcing current habits, he also notes a number of suggestions/observations which I found inspiring.

One of the quotes that is still with me after having completed the read is something that an old boyfriend used to say to me when he was teaching me to ride a bike at the age of 20 on a hot summer day in Houston: "We move in the direction of our focus" (p.136). I was more concerned with the gears, speeds, and hand brakes and may have ridden into a parked car or two (very gently with no damage of course) because I was not focused on the path I intended to ride.

To my co-volunteer: thank you for the loan of the book and for the pause it created today.

No comments:

Post a Comment