Tuesday, December 29, 2009

No Dragons

I spent yesterday morning finishing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. This book was originally published under the title Män som hatar kvinnor (Men Who Hate Women) which is not a bad choice considering the material content. The work is the first in the Millennium series and this volume was translated by Reg Keeland. [My only significant issue in the translation is the temperature references to Fahrenheit; having been to Scandinavia, Celsius is preferred.]

The book's main characters include a young woman with advanced computer "skills" and a financial journalist who pursues stories which highlight anyone who is not acting ethically and honestly in their business. Some of the content is hard to read; violence against women and murder are prominent pieces in the book. As I moved through the chapters, however I was intensely interested in how the mystery would be solved. While I felt as if the end was not as strong as other parts of the novel, the writing might have been handled in this manner in order to transition to the next book in the series. I have reserved this title from the library so I can let you know at some point in the not so distant future if this assumption is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment