Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December Unveiled

In the last two days I have finished Reading Lolita in Tehran and jumped through a variety of other books in either searching for answers for knitting questions or for words of sympathy when I had none of my own. Finishing the title left me a bit sad and I am happy there was sunshine to lift my mood when the last pages were turned. Nafisi writes near the book's closing (p.325) that "Other people's sorrows and joys have a way of reminding us of our own; we partly empathize with them because we ask ourselves: What about me?" So it was perhaps with trying to find the "right" words of sympathy.

This is a book that made me want to revisit titles that were either long ago read or perhaps never studied. Daisy Miller and Madame Bovary have been added to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment