Sunday, December 18, 2011

Curry On My Wayward Son

Today was my first visit to Parnassus Books.  I knew it would be a good experience because 1) it felt like home and 2) it smelled like a bookstore.

The store was busy.  I perused.  I accidentally bumped people with my extra large bag.  I noticed that there were more than a few of us in search for that book for that someone (not knowing with certainty the item and person who would match our selections).

I bought a book because it was sitting out of place like a castaway toy.  I bought another book because I saw the person in front of me buy it.  I bought a book because I had been carrying the title in my purse notebook since I visited an independent San Francisco bookstore two years ago.  I bought a book I knew I loved and hoped that the recipient would love it too.

It was a great experience.  I felt welcome and for a few long moments I was a bit homesick for my former town and the GBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment