Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Stay Me with Flagons

I did not plan to begin Comfort me with Apples by Ruth Reichl Sunday evening. In the end, I could not resist another title on life, food, cooking and travel. I plowed through most of the book yesterday afternoon saving the last eighty pages or so for this morning's read. The book has a very conversational style and Reichl guides us on her voyage of personal discovery through her decision to become a food critic. She shares the distance in her marriage with Doug and the friendly separation that ultimately follows. (I know at least one of the GBC members can relate to this.) She writes about the loss of a parent and explores the concept of motherhood, all the while traveling, writing, and sharing recipes with the reader which relate to these varied points in her life. Each chapter closes with a recipe or two, which caused me (more than once) to grab a snack or a glass of wine.

The acknowledgments gave additional insights to the writer and to the title of the book taken from Song of Solomon. (Chapter 2:5 - I had to search it out, of course. As an aside, during my book inventory, I have discovered I have three Bibles!) So, as I prepare to embark on new journeys this year, my mind too turns to travel, food, and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment