Monday, March 1, 2010

Nothing so-Sew about it

Recently two friends have recycled magazines my way so I have been flipping through the glossy, mostly [occasionally/partially] recycled pages to catch a bit of inspiration for spring. Colors, patterns, mantras with a concept of fresh and/or contemporary were presented to match the change in season and perhaps new beginnings. It was these thoughts and this past weekend's visit to my parents which inspired me to finish two sewing projects I had started. Okay, one I had officially started; the other I had thought about quite a bit, but two safety pins likely does not a start make. I had hoped to elicit the help of the woman who used to make all of my clothes, my mother.

Though I had forgotten exactly just how many times one needs to try on an item to ensure that sewing is going along according to plan (many), it was beautiful to see my mother take my concepts into an executed form. I merely had to try on the item, describe what I wanted and in a few short hours, I had two finished projects. It was amazing! She also had the patience to teach me a few new things, though I did know better than to press my luck too much after we broke the sewing machine needle. Perhaps you too, can find a way to take something old and turn it into something new this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment