Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Invisible Man

I have just spent the last three hours finishing a book that I did not like when I first began to turn its pages. Now, having flipped through the last eight blank pages which followed an obituary, I cannot sleep. I wonder if the blank pages were intentional as a nod to several references in the book regarding seeing that which is not there instead of that which is observable.

A History of Love by Nicole Krauss is a series of stories, yet is just one story. The character of Leo Gursky picks one's emotions as he must have picked locks, and Alma, well, there was not much to dislike in this strong, full of odd facts, young woman. The last thirty pages of the book were successful in building a reader's expectations to a final conclusion. The ending included information that I had not previously guessed and the author opted not to tie all the loose ends, both of which I respect.

Though left with a sense of sadness rather than joy, I am glad for the read and for the reminder that feelings like forces have equal and opposite reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment