Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Kindling a Fire

Last week I was treated to lunch and a hands on tour of the Kindle courtesy of a neighbor and fellow lover of things gadgety. With absolute certainty that there was no lingering evidence of the brat on my hands, I held the reading device. Post-release, I have been skeptical of an electronic reader. If you have been to my home, you know I like books, particularly early edition books with unique topics. After my preview, I am certain that the Kindle would not replace my tendency to purchase old cookbooks and books on Labor in Finland, but it might however keep trendy paperbacks from cluttering my shelves. I can also see an advantage to electronically receive certain reference books and magazines. It seemed that nearly every question I posed was answered with "yes" including a "Clip This Article" feature that I asked in jest. My neighbor was fair to say there were a few drawbacks to the product and gave me a balanced view of these too, however the overall opinion was favorable. In fact, one of the reasons I was seeking more information about the Kindle is that every avid reader I have met who owns one seems to love it. (They also swoon slightly when talking about the Kindle, but this could be more related to personality rather than the Kindle.) I am tempted. If I start to swoon when talking about books I have recently read, you may just know the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment