Monday, September 7, 2009

School's In for Autumn

This weekend I visited a campus bookstore. I had forgotten the contrast between this University-operated bookstore and well, virtually any other type of bookstore in which I have shopped. Key differences include the obvious: clothing and other gear from car decals to lip balm emblazoned with the school’s logo, slogan, association, etc; textbooks at standard full price; and a grand piano. (As I type, I am actually trying to envision a grand piano in many of those tucked away used bookstores I enjoy frequenting, but it does not work.)

I remember the expense of textbooks each semester and the fight to get one of a few “used” textbooks which may have saved up to $20 each or perhaps more on the full bill. (A student could do a lot with $20.) Thanks to a young woman who talked with an extremely audible tone, I learned there are a few more options for students these days. Both Amazon and Ebay have textbook re-sale sections, and other sites such as Campus Books and Buy Used Textbooks offer discounted rates as well. These might be worth a look and may even save you enough money to buy one or two of those logoed items.

No comments:

Post a Comment