Friday, September 11, 2009

Pa(i)ge One

I thought today's email from GBC Paige was the appropriate note for today. The email is reprinted in its entirety with her permission:


Hello all! Just a reminder that our September meeting is Tuesday, September 15 at Bill's house. 6:00 p.m.

Bill has informed me that as of right now, he just needs folks to bring reading water. Bill or I will let you know if that information changes before Tuesday.

Just as an aside...I pulled out my 2002 calendar (yes, I still have my 2002 calendar!) and found the entry for the first ever Germantown Book Club meeting that I attended on August 27, 2002, at April and Bill's. I remember very clearly receiving a call from April (I don't think I had ever met her in person...I had moved to the neighborhood just a few weeks prior to the meeting) and she told me to "come with some discussion questions". I was nervous! I didn't know what to expect from the group, I didn't know if my reading of the book (I think it was The Girl with the Pearl Earring) was thorough enough, and I didn't know if I was bright enough to participate in an in-depth conversation about literature. My nervousness melted away when I was greeted by and introduced to some of the loveliest people I have ever, or will ever know. The conversation flowed, sometimes about the book, sometimes not, and a wonderful tradition began.

Actually, the tradition originated a month prior. The first meeting I attended was the second-ever meeting of the Club. Though I wasn't there for it, I know that the first Book Club book was The Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. If you haven't read it, I recommend it...but if you haven't read Kingsolver's novel The Poisonwood Bible, I would recommend that even more.

September 24, 2002, found us at Nancy's, followed by Milena's house on October 29 (our book was Plainsong). Then November 19, 2002...my first hosting experience. I remember parts of it vividly (and you may too!)...it was the night of my terrible toothache!! No time to be nervous about your first hosting gig when you are in excruciating pain :o) But I survived and December came and we celebrated our last gathering of 2002 at Bill's house on the 17th of the month.

Seven years later and book club is still going strong, and I still look forward to it every month. I feel lucky to be part of something so special. Some of the faces have changed, but I'm still surrounded by some of the loveliest people I have ever, or will ever, know.

Happy Reading!

Thanks GBC Paige, both for this email and for all you do to keep us organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment