Monday, September 21, 2009

Left Me Flat

I have decided to abandon The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman. I have persevered through the two-hundred page mark which included completing his chapter entitled “The Ten Forces That Flattened the World” and am not yet hooked enough to go further (another 365 pages). My adjectives for the book include obvious and dated, however I can see how the read might have been engaging if one had not studied companies such as UPS or Wal-Mart, monitored developments in computing and other technologies, visited China, or worked with international supply chains. (I recognize my background might be a bias here.)

As I have already mentioned, I do not like to quit books. If, however, in six weeks and two hundred pages I am not inspired to continue, I must defer to Mr. Rogers and “know when to walk away.”

2 comments:

  1. And I "know when to run"...and I'm doing that with Drood. After about 100 pages of the almost 800-page book, I'm quitting. And I'm fine with that.

    ReplyDelete