Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Find in the Garage Box


“I’ve never read a Nancy Drew book”. I gasped when I saw this morning’s email from GBC Paige and then smiled while reading Meg Daly’s review of Confessions of a Teen Sleuth by Chelsea Cain.

Of course I wondered how a child from the ‘70s missed reading Nancy Drew, but then quickly realized if not for my Aunt C, I too would likely have not read the mystery stories. My Aunt is a librarian and loved books. She introduced both my sister and I to numerous worlds beyond our small town. Some of my fondest memories of a child were my Aunt and Uncle driving to our house with boxes of books that were intended to have been destroyed but were rescued and delivered to two eager girls. These days were as good as Christmas, and we never knew what we were going to find for reading material. There were books about states, books about science, Reader’s Digest bound collections, Seasame Street books of cooking, Shakespeare (if you can believe it), Little House on the Prairie, and of course, Nancy Drew. I am certain my mom loved these visits as well, as the house became quiet for a few weeks again as my sister and I devoured the books.

I have a box in the garage of some of these childhood delights; my parents are storing the remainder (thank you) that my sister does not have. This morning I found five Nancy Drew Mystery Stories of four titles; for some reason, I have two copies of The Clue in the Jewel Box. The library markings are still evident though fading and each book has its mark for storage in the “Y” section of the library under “Kee”. Four of them also have their library cards with the signatures of those souls who read these from 1972 to 1981.

I do love reading and I am eternally grateful to my Auntie who helped fuel this habit.

1 comment: