Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Potato, Potahto

There are moments in a single person's life that one learns too late that an item has been improperly stored. In that moment of realization, the organic principles that you did not pick up during your undergraduate degree somehow manage to come to the forefront of your mind, and the most avid of recyclers will toss containers without a moment's thought in order to bring their abode back to a more normal olfactory state.

In this vein, I offer Annie Nichols' potatoes as a way to avoid a counter of offending tubers. Her small book is full of tasty nuggets such as potato gratin made in a springform cake pan and whose accompanying photo makes this dish look like a collection of delicate layers just waiting for a fork. Roti, curry, stew, hasselbacks and a chile potato tart are a few of the other recipes which round out the book and give me reasons to use those obscure pans I have amassed over the last ten years of baking.

Mr. Potato, I've got my eyes on you.

[A link to the book can be found here, however there appears to be numerous variations on the 2003 printing. My copy has delicious crispy fries on the cover which I cannot seem to find for you.]

No comments:

Post a Comment