Monday, August 8, 2011

Boa to Tears

"Your boa has constricted itself." - Sarah

Her comment was directed to our author recapping an obvious issue when his feather boa became tangled into his bike's derailleur. As I moved through the last essay in Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do it by Geoff Dyer, I thought the expression an apt description for the book. Perhaps I should taken my own advice and read an essay here or there rather than moving through the second half of the book in one sitting (with copious amounts of coffee).

The experiences became a bit of a blur and I am now hard-pressed to remember which girl went with which city and whether or not there were drugs involved. Perhaps this is the author's intent. The second half of the book beginning near "Decline and Fall" moves through several essays which contain a mousy hotel, a dead body, a breakup, lonely travel, and crying over breakfast. (Not exactly the thing to read during a rain storm if you are looking for a pick me up.)

On a positive note, "Leptis Magna" introduced me this site in Libya, and "The Zone" gave me insights into Burning Man. As I closed the last few pages, I could not help feeling as though I missed the something that I was supposed to take away.

No comments:

Post a Comment