Saturday, August 6, 2011

Babble Babel

When I first opened the box to reveal a trio of books, my first thought was, "Oh, I have made a mistake when writing." After discovering the gift note from one of my dear friends and GBC members, I quickly moved to "Presents!" I later learned this NPR review for grammarians was at the heart of inspiration for this package.

A Dictionary of Modern English Usage by H.W. Fowler has four columns devoted to prepositions at the end of a sentence. Even via social media with 140 character constraints, I try to avoid the ending preposition. The tweets where I fail haunt me like the memory of my fourth grade teacher with pencils in her hair. With my morning coffee, I have reviewed onomatopeia and ottava rima.

John McWhorter's Introduction to The Power of Babel compares language to cloud formations. I like clouds so I immediately started skimming to see whether the book included Finnish. (Hyvä.)

The Lexicographer's Dilemma by Jack Lynch is yet untouched save a check of the dedication. He gives nods to three great teachers; I wonder if any had pencils in their hair.

Thanks GBC P@1ge.

1 comment: