Thursday, May 26, 2011

Reader in Sheep's Clothing

From Cutting for Stone:

"What did it say when a man had fewer clothes than books?"

Substitute woman and you have me. What does it say?

"I am a well-read, intelligent being with a wide range of interests. I have poetry at my fingertips as well as that Julia Child recipe you have always wanted to try. My clothes are fewer but better couture. I am interesting."

or

"I collect books but I do not read them. Moving is tough, as is dusting. When you visit, you must think me well-read however I cannot seem to find that Grisham book I know I have. The Twilight series sits on the top shelf and my Over Canada makes a great coaster. I have fun."

I wonder what Sylerant would say about clothes versus books.

3 comments:

  1. The number of books a person has READ should exceed his or her number of wardrobe choices at a given moment. Having said that, I am more of the iPad school. I realize this puts me in the minority, but I have no romance for bound paper. Clutter makes me nervous.

    Also regarding books: the ones that we read once for entertainment should be given away. They will benefit someone more than an old paisley shirt or some once-trendy jeans that have made the journey to the great Goodwill closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have definitely read (and probably own) more books than I have items of clothing in my closet. Some books I will always hold onto and treasure, while others, as Kidd suggested, are moved on to other homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kidd & Paige - I like the idea that some books are transient. I have an eclectic set and will admit that is at least one "paisley shirt" which I will never read again but somehow brings me comfort by knowing it is there.

    Read > wardrobe = outstanding rule

    ReplyDelete