Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kindle - Location, Location, Location

Thanks are due to my friend Lora for sharing yesterday's big news in the electronic reading world via Twitter feed. I know that GBC K1m and I both share excitement that real page numbers will finally enter the Kindle world. While Amazon has a nice spin in their user guide that:
Locations are the digital answer to page numbers. Since you can change the text size on Kindle, the page numbers would change too, but with locations, you can be confident that you return to the same place every time regardless of the text size you prefer. [Note: Kindle's User Guide does not have page numbers either so this quote could not be properly referenced.]
While I salute the engineer's logic who developed this methodology, if s/he thinks that I can remember I finished last night's book at "Locations 5840-55," s/he gave me too much credit (and I am a numbers gal). So thank you Amazon, and thank you to the hundreds of people who actually used the user feedback email address to prompt the change.

Other items which I think could be improved:

1) Allowing the dictionary to be used on one-half of a hyphenated word (half, e.g.), particularly for those of us reading old Victorian novels

2) Beginning a book on the front cover rather than "Chapter 1". I am, after all, a traditionalist with books and I do like to read all the notes at the beginning. I also want a view of the cover, albeit electronic greyscale.

No comments:

Post a Comment