Saturday, July 24, 2010

Waste Knot Want Knot

I think some books emerge at the point when we are ready to read them. This week, I was reminded of Knots by Richard Hopkins. I picked it up at or near here and it has been sitting diligently on my shelf awaiting additional inspection. Some knots in the book are easily tied, and with one pull, they are disentangled. Others require much additional skill and patience to tie, but will hold the weight of a variety of items (depending of course, on the nature of your rope). Knots as a metaphor for life? Maybe. The knots have great names: Half Blood Knot, Sliding Figure Eight Bend, Lars Head, and Cat's Paw. Thanks to this book, I also learned there is an International Guild of Knot Tyers, "a worldwide membership for enthusiastic knot tyers."

Double Simple Simon: the knot for slippery synthetic cords. Could this be my favorite? Knot any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment