Monday, July 26, 2010

Plain Twain and Auto-fill

As it is Monday, I thought I should offer some tidbit of motivation and/or inspiration for the week. I also thought this writing should be witty, so I consulted Mark Twain. My paperback copy of Tales, Speeches, Essays and Sketches was originally purchased for a college English class and the pages are littered with my cursive notes. It is interesting see how my handwriting and note-taking has progressed since that time. Ah, youth! (I think I am at risk of digressing and perhaps dulling you into a desire for another cup of coffee so I should get back on track.)

This collection of Twain's writing includes an essay entitled "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offences." Twain's opinion is that "Cooper has scored 114 offences against literary art out of a possible 115." He also notes a violation of eighteen of the "nineteen rules governing literary art in the domain of romantic fiction." (Bear with me, as I am finally nearing the point.)

I hereby offer six of these rules (p. 379) to you for your week's reflection as I think they are not restrictive to composing romantic fiction:


13. Use the right word, not its second cousin.

14. Eschew surplusage.

15. Not omit necessary details.

16. Avoid slovenliness of form.

17. Use good grammar.

18. Employ a simple and straightforward style.


Hope you have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment