Monday, November 23, 2009

Why and What

In addition to attending GBC Kim's final defense Friday, I made an excursion to our downtown Main library. I had received an email the day prior that a requested book had become available and was being held for me. When I opened the email, I did not recognize the title and wondered what would have made me wish to read this book. So, I did what anyone would do and (instead of just going to pick up the book), I researched why I had wanted this book.

I checked my handy book spreadsheet and the title was there, but alas, there were no comments. (Note to self: add column for "how I learned about book"). Nearby titles jogged my memory and I was next in search of my travel notebook. Soon, all became clear as the San Francisco Bay! This was among the list of books I had noted while in The Booksmith with my sister last May; as I recall, it was listed as an employee's choice. I had requested it from the library upon my return in June and joined the list of fifteen or so other potential readers and patiently waited through the queue, so patiently in fact, that I had forgotten the book.

So when I arrived Friday, Nudge by Richard H. Thaler and Cass R. Sunstein was awaiting my attention near the front of the building. Not satisfied with checking out only one book, I made a trek to the third floor in search of Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. (I also was reminded that a call number that begins with "B" is a biography; I really should use call numbers more frequently so I would remember these types of things.) Finally, I picked up another third floor selection: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali translated by Sri Swami Satchidananda. Three is a good number.

Since Nudge focuses a bit on our poor choices, I decided to start with Reading Lolita in Tehran.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Reading Lolita in Tehran and think you will too!

    ReplyDelete