Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ph-enomenal D-arling

Soon we will have our first PhD in the GBC. Yesterday GBC Kim defended her thesis and three years of work culminated in an hour of questioning from her committee. [This was actually hour two of the event. Hour one included the presentation and the audience's ability to toss her a few "soft" questions as warm-up. We were then (politely) kicked out for the tough part.] I have not yet had the opportunity to speak with her after learning that she passed, but I would imagine there is a measure of relief and perhaps wonderment of "what next?".

I was fortunate to be able to attend her presentation yesterday. It was really amazing - interesting, funny, clever, logical, shocking at times (due to some of the great quotations), and spot on 40 minutes, her allotted time. GBC T1m did a great job with her Twitterfeed, but I think he would agree with me that it really was impossible to fully capture what an incredible job she did in 140 characters. I felt proud and I am just her neighbor!

GBC Kim, congratulations from your fellow bookclubbers! We are extremely happy for you and I think you've earned the right to pick any book for 2010
.

No comments:

Post a Comment