Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Reading Lolita in Tehran in Nashville

I am nearly at the half-way mark in Reading Lolita in Tehran. I am amazed at Nafisi's ability to shift from the world of literature and character studies to her life and experiences while in Tehran, both while at the university and during her meetings with students after her official resignation from teaching. But I think this is her point; literature and her life have these parallels. She has walked me through Lolita and now The Great Gatsby leaving me with my next read to tackle Section III called "James". Some of her sentences have a degree of foreboding, and I continue reading waiting for that moment when something bad will happen. I paused as I typed this last sentence as the first two sections have already been dotted with death and descriptions of dreams lost.

It is difficult for me to imagine a life where I would not be free to read any book of my choosing or one in which I did not have available door delivery from amazon. It is appropriate to have this reminder of my good fortune before tomorrow's holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment