Friday, November 27, 2009

Eggs-actly What I Needed

I have a book entitled Deviled Eggs: 50 Recipes from Simple to Sassy by Debbie Moose. I am fond of the recipes which range from "The Yolk's on You" to "the devil made me do it." (Clearly some of these defer responsibility.) I read through the book and deliberated upon the recipe to use for yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner.

I was having a bit of an nontraditional holiday in that I was spending it with friends rather than my family. Staying local meant that I was to have a meal sitting around a table with a designated chair rather than either standing while eating or using long-ago honed musical chair skills to grab a seat from my 40 or so relatives which would have been gathered at my Aunt's home. Different indeed.

For this meal, I had made several traditional recipes "from scratch" and thought perhaps the deviled eggs may need a bit more flair. What to do?

In the end, after having decided to make nutty sweet rolls for an afternoon snack, I opted for traditional [dirty kitchen+time to eat=safe recipe]. I decided to make them like my parents do. (They each have different techniques so I cannot be more specific.) Two of the other guests also brought dishes that were always included in their annual menus, and I realized as the jello mold was passed, that while some things will and do change, some things can still remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment