Sunday, June 7, 2009

Looking Ahead

I am struggling with Look Homeward, Angel and while I had hoped to finish the book today, I have managed to find a number of other chores which have taken precedence over wading through these descriptive characters and their exploits. Once I begin a book, it is a rarity that I do not finish it. Usually, I plod through the text and am rewarded, as I think many of us were with Yiddish Policeman's Union (by Michael Chabon). The hours I spent this morning reading were productive in that I learned two new words which are no longer in most electronic spell-checking dictionaries (phthisic and ptotic), however I think the remainder of this text may have to be re-visited at a future date. Sorry Thomas, it's not you; it's me.

I would be remiss in writing if I did not remind us all of what's ahead in the GBC literary world.

Our selections are:

June: The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
July: B is for Beer by Tom Robbins
August: North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
September: Little Brother by Cory Doctrow
October: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

We had several other titles which were recommended by members during the last couple of weeks. If you missed any of those, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment