Saturday, June 27, 2009

I 'Ear You

Most of us have had at least one moment where a story or program heard on NPR has caused us to do a little bit of independent research. Today's cause of googling was "icker". For anyone other than Bill, this is a reference to an ear of corn or more specifically (according to Dictionary.com), "the fruit-bearing spike of any cereal plant." I do love interesting words.

So, my next question, prompted by our read of Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World, was to inquire whether or not there are indeed books about corn. (I should have known the answer would be positive.) It was a maize of books, but I'll offer up the 5-star reviewed The Story of Corn by Betty Russell as an addition to the book lists.

Hope you enjoyed this little kernel.

No comments:

Post a Comment