Sunday, January 19, 2014

I Do Not Think it Means What you Think it Means

The last thing I expected to do on a Saturday night is get into a serious discussion about Sun Tzu's The Art of War.  [Aside:  bookcases can be quite the conversation starter.]  Truth be told, I have not picked up this book (except to move it four times) since 2006.  It was required reading for one of my strategy classes and I had opted to scan just the necessary passage instead of the entire book as I was working full time, studying 20 hours a week, running, yoga-ing, and working my way through a Tammy Wynette spelling song.

It was busy.

Also, judging from the small slips of paper inside, I was more concerned in 2006 with using this book as a good place to tuck away the tire size to a 1988 Pontiac and various scheduling routines.

So there I was, trying to remember something about it while suppressing the Edwin Starr song which was trying to present itself like an accompanying soundtrack in my head.  For the most part I could just listen, but debate, I could not.  It's now a book that's been re-added to the reading list but as a life strategy, I'm sticking with Vizzini's suggestion:  "never get involved in a land war in Asia."

No comments:

Post a Comment