Wednesday, June 6, 2012

He(y)-la

I'm fairly certain Monday's flight was the first early morning transit that did not include a nap.  The culprit:  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.  This was a GBC read from early last year that I finally purchased over the Christmas shopping holiday from Parnassus Books in Nashville.  Eighteen months later I pick up the book on the way out the door.  After boarding my flight, I was immediately drawn into the Lacks' lives and by the time I connected and landed, I was to the halfway mark in the book (aka the photo section).

The familial dynamics and the impact on DNA studies had me torn between the progress of science and its cost.  The story is particularly interesting in light of my current day job and my closer proximity to Tuskegee (whose 1932-1972 syphilis experiments were unknown to me until this read).  The return flights allowed me to both finish the story and let other passengers see my "soft side" with a tear (or two) as the book drew to a close.

Better late than never as they say, so if you too were delayed on the GBC schedule, I highly encourage you to pick up the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment