Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Connect Four

In 2006 I was on the Piccadilly line near Piccadilly Circus.  I had just been to see Judi Dench in Noel Coward's Hay Fever at Theatre Royal Haymarket.  I was alone and wearing a pleated khaki skirt and a red sleeveless sweater.  My iPod was on shuffle.  He was across the train to my left.  He donned headphones and was wearing a hat and a plaid jacket with jeans.  We made eye contact and then one of us would look away.  This happened at least three more times.  We both got off on the same stop at Green Park but went separate ways. The ride could not have been longer than a few minutes but the moment was enough to make me write down the sequence of songs in an email to a friend.  Poignant moments.

This recollection was one of the first when I flipped through Missed Connections: Love, Lost & Found by Sophie Blackall.  A gift from GBC P@1ge, the book is filled with posts come to life through Blackall's illustrations.  Sad, funny, clever, these moments are captured for us to be hopeful and to remember.  Check out her site for smiles and perhaps your own wistful remembrances.

No comments:

Post a Comment